The Aesculapian snake is one of the longest snakes in all of Europe.
The Aesculapian snake can also additionally appear big and intimidating, however in reality, this non-venomous species is reasonably harmless. The vintage adage that it’s miles extra fearful of you than you’re fearful of it takes place to be especially true on this unique case. This species ought to now no longer be careworn with the Aesculapian fake coral snake, which belongs to a completely separate genus and appears absolutely different.
4 Aesculapian Snake Amazing Facts
- The call of this species is derived from Asclepius, the Greek god of healing. The snake frequently concealed in temples devoted to Asclepius and shortly have become solely related to the god. In fact, the photograph of the Aesculapian snake wrapped round a rod is a not unusualplace image of drugs and pharmacology today.
- The mating season of the Aesculapian snake takes area among May and June. Rival adult males will battle every different for get entry to to cappotential mates. When one male has won, it’s going to start a ritualized dance with the female. About 4 to 6 weeks later, she can be able to lay her snatch of 10 eggs in a moist, heat spot together with hay piles, rotting wood, and vintage tree stumps.
- The Aesculapian snake has the cappotential to climb instantly up vertical surfaces. It has been determined on roofs or even the pinnacle branches of trees.
- The Aesculapian snake hibernates in its den for the winter. It additionally attempts to keep away from excessive heat.
Where to Find Aesculapian Snakes
The Aesculapian snake is endemic to forests, hills, and different habitats with masses of cover. Its variety extends throughout maximum of Southern Europe and small elements of Western Asia from the Atlantic coast to the Black Sea. It isn’t endemic to the United Kingdom, however many specimens seemingly escaped from British zoos and installed populations close to Wales and London. The London populace can also additionally have turn out to be extinct over time, however different populations have endured. There is a comparable species referred to as the Italian Aesculapian snake that inhabits the southern Italian peninsula.
Aesculapian Snake Scientific Name
The medical call of the Aesculapian snake is Zamenis longissimus. Zamenis is a Greek phrase meaning irritated or fierce. Longissimus is a Latin phrase meaning longest. It is a near relative of the Italian Aesculapian snake and the European ratsnake. Several subspecies are presently recognized.
Aesculapian Snake Population & Conservation Status
According to the IUCN Red List, the Aesculapian snake is taken into consideration to be a species of least concern. While they do look like large and stable, populace estimates aren’t presently known. Habitat loss from roads, farms, and homes has historically been a danger to this species.
How to Identify Aesculapian Snakes: Appearance and Description
The Aesculapian snake has a lengthy, narrow frame with clean scales that provide it a sort of metal sheen. They have pretty small heads and spherical, darkish pupils. Measuring as much as 6.6 toes in size, it’s miles many of the longest snakes in all of Europe. The pores and skin can are available in diverse colors, together with olive yellow, brownish-inexperienced, or even black, with everyday styles of white-edged scales alongside the edges and lower back. Juveniles, via way of means of contrast, have mild inexperienced or brownish-inexperienced pores and skin with darker styles instead.
Here is a way to become aware of the Aesculapian snake:
- Long, narrow frame measuring as much as 6.6 toes
- Small head with spherical eyes
- Smooth scales with metal sheen
- Olive yellow, brownish-inexperienced, or black pores and skin colors
- Regular blotched styles at the lower back and aspects with white edges
Aesculapian Snake: How Dangerous Are They?
Despite its big and intimidating size, the Aesculapian snake isn’t very risky at all. They do now no longer produce any venom, and their chew isn’t robust sufficient to significantly harm human pores and skin. If you’re bitten via way of means of such a snakes, you then definately ought to try and wash out the wound with cleaning soap to save you an infection. It can be a terrific concept to are looking for hospital therapy as well.
Aesculapian Snake Behavior and Humans
Aesculapian snakes aren’t very competitive towards humans. They might opt to run away and conceal of their crevices whilst it comes into touch with a person. As lengthy as you don’t try and nook or method this snake, it’s going to now no longer try and protect itself. This snake can also additionally try and intimidate its opponent first earlier than striking.